Central Government/Local Government/Community-wide Mobilization to Join Forces with Public Health Power in Disease Prevention
After the daunting challenges brought about by diseases such as SARS and the H1N1 flu, communication and interaction among the central government, local governments, and communities have also become more frequent and smoother. This has enhanced the capability of the public health system in Taiwan to prevent spread of infectious diseases and help the people gradually empower themselves in health promotion and in preventive health care.
I. Roles of Local Government Health Departments and Public Health Centers in Disease Prevention
Public health centers (or health service centers) in respective townships are the primary care sites in the community healthcare network. They work together with the central health authorities in promoting fundamental healthcare and services and are responsible for integrating local medical care and healthcare resources in remote areas.
(II) Building a community disease prevention network through the public health system
In order to effectively curb the spread of a disease, besides the various disease prevention measures and the support from the medical care network, the public health system is needed so that a robust community disease prevention network may take shape.
2. Strengthening necessary knowledge and accountability for one’s own health: With a functioning public health system, it helps empower people and communities so that people are willing to cooperate with the government in its policy by enforcing disease prevention at the personal, family, and community levels.
II. Fundamental Public Health System Disease Prevention Strategy
2. Public health centers/health service centers: Conduct disease monitoring, investigation, and reporting, follow up on and care for those in home isolation, deliver disease prevention supplies, and sell face masks together with community pharmacies starting on February 6.
2. Outbreak Drill at Long-term Care Facilities: The drill included initial isolation, reporting, and referral to a hospital for medical attention upon discovery of a suspicious case, environmental cleaning and disinfection, and division of tenants, restrictions over accepting new tenants, and timely adoption of suitable infectious diseases control and prevention measures. It helps reduce the risk of infection and harm done when an outbreak occurs.
3. Push Notification of Health Education and Disease Prevention Guide Applying Information and Telecommunication and Websites: People are provided with open and transparent information so that they can keep track of the condition in their locality. Communication takes place and information is announced continuously in the devoted section set up on the website of the health department at each county/city, as follows:
III. Follow-up, Management, and Care Mechanisms for People at Risk of Infection
2. For those in home quarantine: Staff of the civil administration department of the Ministry of the Interior contact those in home quarantine once or twice per day over the phone to show concern and understand their health condition, and make records of subject conditions.
3. For those in home isolation and quarantine that develop respiratory symptoms such as fever and coughing, health units will evaluate and refer them for medical attention.
4. Smart technology-assisted home isolation and home quarantine operations.
(2) Mobile phones are provided to travelers who enter Taiwan without a Taiwanese phone number for disease prevention, so that officials can immediately intervene and provide assistance and care.
(3) When people who are quarantined leave their homes or turn off their mobile phone, the system will send a warning message to the person in question, as well as the civil affairs department, health department, and local police to determine the person's whereabouts.
(4) Those in home isolation or home quarantine with urgent medical needs who have obtained informed consent from a health department will be referred to a designated telecare healthcare facility and diagnosed and treated through video conferencing.
(II) Promotion of Local Government Home Quarantine and Home Isolation Care Service Program
1. Nutrients: One large packet of grain powder, one bag of instant rice, and one box of mind-soothing snacks.
2. Health supplements: One box of echinacea health supplements
3. Spiritual supplies: One booklet of Buddhist aphorisms, love and caring card, and safety charm pendant.
- Last Updated:2020-06-05
- Data Source:Office of International Cooperation
- Count Views:998